Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Feast of the Annunciation


Today's the Feast of the Annunciation, and we rejoice with Mary over the message of an angel, Gabriel, which leads to the Incarnation of the Word and the salvation of mankind.

With that thought in mind, I drove North on the Dallas Tollway to visit Front Sight Firearms. They have a good-looking online presence and I was hoping to pick up an Aero Precision, 7.62 lower receiver. Buy it there and then, I thought, and save yourself FFL transfer fees and hassle. I also like to see what I buy before I buy it; old fashioned, I know, but that's me.



It was weird, driving out to far, far North Dallas, and it's something I rarely do. Miles upon miles of corporate headquarters, nestled between behemoth malls, big box stores and endless subdivisions. All bisected by highways; tomorrow's world today.



But  not my world, so it was strange to see. Not necessarily bad, but alien. McKinney was more of the same, neat little strip-malls with frozen yogurt franchises, and roads that aren't potholed. Look right or left, and you can see the subdivisions. Do the houses have plastic siding? I didn't investigate.

However, I did check out the gun shop. Word to the wise, Front Sight isn't what it appears online. They didn't have my lower, in fact they scorned it, which is odd, and the bored, dismissive, gun nerd behind the counter couldn't even be bothered to engage in right-wing gun shop banter, much less sell me anything. So I bought a Magpul flip-up front sight and left the store.



Is there anything good about Front Sight's shopfront? There is. Their prices are alright, (unlike Ray's) and what they have on offer seems good quality. But there isn't much of it. Don't waste your time going there, unless you're in the area and want to see the suburban metrosprawl. That's my advice. But hey, check them out, maybe they have what you want.

A few hours later I was back in the country. That seemed more normal to me, and I liked it.

Have a blessed Feast of the Annunciation, and ask the Blessed Virgin Mary for her powerful intercession.

God bless,

LSP


7 comments:

LL said...

A good gun shop is a lot like a good hardware store. When you walk through the door, you feel like home. Walking through the aisles and engaging the staff is something that you can do for endless hour after hour. They should also have a range where you can shoot what you plan to buy.

It's a vanishing entity (like an honest man in Congress). Unlike going to Congress, I think that opening a store like that in Texas might be something you'd consider doing when you retire from your present job.

DLC Guns and God, Inc.

LSP said...

That's a very good plan, LL, and I like the shop/range combo. A lot.

jenny said...

I agree-- that's an excellent business prospect for a priest. The clear and obvious next step for your firearm blessing ministry. Maybe have a side room available to hear confessions? Taking the church to the people...

jenny said...

oh, and I love the art in this post.

Mattexian said...

There's one gun shop near my work, more of a tactical boutique, that carries all the hyper cool AR gear, and a few others things, but not much on the shelf for my AK. Around the block from them is an Academy Sports, fairly reliable for finding ammo right now. Going the other way, beyond home, is an older gun shop/army surplus, in the next town, that is a little more expensive, but they're more likely to have stuff in stock. Down that way is also an old hardware store, which still *smells* like one, and I was surprised to find them also selling some ammo (mostly shotgun shells, but better than nothing, right?).

LSP said...

Glad you liked the art, Jenny!

LSP said...

I like those old hardware shops, Mattexian. There's one not too far from, in West, that has a good ammo supply and decent little selection of guns. You can go there, get shooting supplies and hardware, then drive down the road for great kolaches. Good result.