Thursday, October 22, 2015

Rimfire Warrior


Some people use the Tracking Point aiming system, which unerringly guides your shot onto the target via technology that's well nigh indistinguishable from magic. Others use iron sights and a fixed 4 power scope. I went down the latter route today.

Note Mossberg Truck Gun

It rained this morning as I was walking the dog after Mattins. That's right, it rained, for a whole minute, maybe a few seconds more. Uplifted and refreshed, I loaded up the truck with a couple of rimfires, an old JC Higgins, 22 LR, and a Ruger American, 17 HMR. Blue Ballistics got to come along too.

No Libs On The Bench

I faced off against enemy plastic water containers and some old Marlboro Light boxes, opening up off-hand at 30, 50, 75 and 100 yards with the .22. Once I got the hold sorted out the opposition went down swiftly enough, and I won't pretend that I didn't enjoy watching the water targets exploding. Take that, water enemy.

The Ruger American .17 HMR Works

The .17 was more fun, but a greater challenge. Because of the optic, you're looking for greater accuracy and not happy unless you get it. Well maybe not. It's still awesome to see a gallon water jug sail into the air after being hit by the superfast, if supertiny, .17 HMR, regardless of shot placement.

Get In The Truck, You Savage.

But what about the dog? He loved the shooting, and barked, jumped, leaped and romped in midfield, then he found his way to the source of the joy, the shooting bench. He was relegated to the truck after that.

The Water Enemy

So what was learned? Shooting rimfire is a lot of fun, no doubt about it, and it's comparatively cheap, too. The Ruger American is also a great rifle for the price, accurate as you like and then some; I'll be getting their .22 LR wood stocked variant as soon as I've saved up the vast sum of $350.

And as always,  the song remains the same, get out and shoot.

LSP

4 comments:

LL said...

The Hollywood types were delighted that I wore my .45 Kimber (holstered). I wonder what they would have done if I'd unlimbered and blazed away for shits and giggles the way that the actors do in the movies that they write...?

Brighid said...

Been going every change I get, Padre. Took my homemade cheapo portable target stand, only busted one of it's arms this time... pink duck tape surgical repair and continued on.
Have you taken a Appleseed course with the Ruger 22LR? Great fun and a bit of history to boot.

LSP said...

Jealous of that Kimber, LL. You should give the Hollywooders a live fire demo. After all, you're a consultant.

LSP said...

I haven't taken the Appleseed course, Brighid, but I hear they're good. Shoot on!