Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Dove Hunt


There's been a lot of horse lately, but not much gun. So loaded a shotgun in the truck and went in search of a more balanced life.



This meant walking the treelines in search of dove, and the method's simple, if not easy. Walk up on a tree with dove in it, and when they fly out of the tree like Exocet missiles, shoot them. At first there were no doves, although there were spiders.



Then the avian acrobats burst out of a tree! One round off, no birds down, and in fairness to me they were going fast at the outer limits of my range. So I headed over to a dried-up creek and hunkered down for a bit, listening to someone making a rabbit distress call somewhere off to my left, in the brush. For the benefit of coyotes, probably.



After shooting a snake, I climbed out of the creek bed and headed towards a small clump of trees. If I was a dove, would I be in those trees? I asked myself, and figured yes, I would be. Sure enough they were, and exploded out of the tree as I got up on it. Big excitement, shots were fired, adrenaline up, and another miss. 



Berating myself for being slow off the mark, I walked back to my starting point and chased a few birds along the trees, but didn't get a shot in the autumnal 100 degree weather.

So. LSP 0, Dove 1.

This isn't over.

LSP

4 comments:

LL said...

You did bag a snake.

LSP said...

True, and it's always good to get out in the field for an armed excursion. Hot though.

Mad Padre said...

Spiders, ugh. I gather it is hot down there, I was watching the ball games (Rangers vs Jays) and they were sweating. Tough loss for TX last night.

LSP said...

Ridiculously hot, Padre, and for sure, TX didn't win...