Saturday, December 27, 2014

Fly to Calgary


By longstanding tradition, I go to Calgary right after Christmas and stay at the Hyatt for a few nights. I like it there and every year they upgrade me by putting me on a higher floor. I like that too because of the view over Stephen Avenue and sunsets over the Rockies, which you can just see on a clear day.

Room with a View

But I didn't like getting up at 4 am to get a cab to DFW on Boxing Day. Maybe it's worth spending a little extra to get a more civilized flight. Still, it was very cheap and got me there.

Typical Canadian Street Scene

So did a near perfect Negroni at the bar of the St. Germaine hotel right 'round the corner from the Hyatt. I say near perfect only because it could have been a bit larger. I made up for that deficiency by getting two.

Cheers from the Land of the Ice and Snow.

And God bless Canada,

LSP

13 comments:

Dan said...

Safe travels and may it be a restful break.

LL said...

Oh Canada...aye.

That sounds like fun, but it's cold. I like Calgary and have friends who live there -- and I'm surprised that there is no snow, even if the city is in the flats.

I hope that your visit (with family?) is pleasant and that they didn't give you too much trouble when you passed through customs with your DLC saber...you did bring your saber...

LSP said...

Thanks, Dan. Have a great Christmastide!

LSP said...

Definitely fun, though it is a bit chilly. They're predicting snow in a few days. I'd like that.

I told customs it was "ceremonial". heh...

LL said...

Gin and sweet vermouth? Is that what they drink in Texas?

No, I think not, however when in Canada, do as the Canadians. ;^)

LSP said...

Just trying to "fit in", LL.

Adrienne said...

Yum - Negroni. Problem is, I can't afford the Campari. I remember when it was cheap. My step-dad used to make us Campari and soda with a twist of lemon.

Have fun!

jenny said...

It's positively freezing in Austin today. My toes got really cold in my flip flops when I went out to return a Christmas gift. I remember thinking I should have put on a jacket. All that to say that I empathize deeply with your situation up there in the land of ice and snow. Stay warm!

LSP said...

Be careful, Jenny!

I recommend the following:

Shirt, perhaps thermal.
Fleece.
Down vest, Patagonia or equivalent.
Windproof outer layer. I use a Carhart, but that's just me. You might like something lighter -- Arcteryx is neat.
And a hat. And gloves. And maybe Oakleys to deflect glare.

Hope that helps!

jenny said...

What excellent advice!
Perhaps I'll wear pants, too.

Brig said...

Leggings Jenny!

Padre, will trade a strange mulled wine for Negroni in the spirit of giving...

LSP said...

Would love to teleport a glass or two over to you but my tech isn't up to yet, annoyingly.

LSP said...

Thanks, Adrienne! I like the odd glass of it now and again.