Sunday, March 29, 2020

Navajo Bread -- Cooking With LSP




What, cooking with LSP? That's both dangerous and stupid. Not so fast, punters, here's how it's done. First up, gaze wonderingly at all your wisely stockpiled flour and ask, what're you gonna do with it, eh? Make bread, obviously, Navajo Bread. It's easy and goes like this.

Put 2 cups of regular stockpiled flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1 stockpiled teaspoon salt, then follow that bad boy up with a tablespoon of baking soda. Throw in two teaspoons of hoarded vegetable oil and a teaspoon of salt. Or not, anarchist, your call.




Whisk it about but don't run off and fall asleep under the nearest tree like some kind of Mexican, your job's not done. No, add lukewarm water to the mix until it becomes a tacky, shaggy, workable dough. Around one cup perhaps.

Then mix that beast up, put it on a floured surface and knead the thing until it's elastic, around three or four minutes. Well done, congratulate yourself on getting this far and place the dough in an "oiled container," the original mixing bowl will do. Cover it up and let rest for an hour.




Next step? Cut the dough into six pieces. Roll each piece flat on a floured surface and fry the offerings in a hot, oiled, iron skillet. Don't be an idiot and burn the delicious bread, take each piece off the heat as brown spots occur and it's obviously done. 




You'll find, if all goes well with the culinary odyssey, that you end up with something like a cross between a tortilla and a naan. Awesome on both counts. And then, bread on hand...

Fall on your scoff like a warrior,

LSP

16 comments:

Kid said...

I especially liked the 'let it rest for an hour' part.

When I was three, I'd head down to the kitchen , grab some flour and egg and Lots of sugar and make myself one heck of a skillet sized sugar cookie. Mom must have been amused (or dead asleep) as she didn't mess with me over it.

Jules said...

Add delicious herbs and garlic powder and, OH MY DAYS, you have a Naan! I'm a fan of cooking with LSP. Let's see some Yorkshire's!

Adrienne said...

Since I'm trying to not eat wheat I'll have to turn my talents to making almond flour biscuits - that is if I survive a trip to Costco this morning.

I will say those puppies you made dripping in butter would be mighty fine though.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Like Adrienne, I'm avoiding wheat. Your pictures sorely tempt!

LSP said...

Juliette, Yorkies coming up! So tasty.

LSP said...

That sounds very tasty, Kid. Might have to replicate your recipe.

LSP said...

They really are, Adrienne, and I enjoyed just that for a late breakfast. Hope you survived Costco.

LSP said...

WSF, I pretty much cut out bread last Lent and kinda stuck with the program, until now. Maybe it's better for you if it doesn't come from some factory?

Whatev, Navajo bread's tasty. New to me.

Kid said...

I forgot to include a little milk was added.

My Dad made a fudge from scratch that started with raw cocoa blocks, added sugar, mixed it up constantly turning the mixture over flame, then put out on the back porch in winter to harden. Almost hard as a rock, but instantly melted once in your mouth. I watched him make it many times, knew the recipe but could never duplicate.

I'm sure he made a lot of this stuff as Army Infantry during 1942-1945 in Italy, Germany, France when ingredients were available.

Kid said...

BTW, have you had buttered w/ garlic added Naan bread (Indian) with hot spicy red onion? Yum.

And while we're being multicultural, Try some Dim Sum (Chinese) if you have anyone there serving it up. Sunday is the traditional day, during the brunch period of the day. Pork and shrimp dumpling, taro puff, pork rib (very small), football (mixture of stuff inside a puff shaped like a football, shark fin (no shark, only a mix of ingredients shaped like a pot sticker, lots more.

LindaG said...

Thanks for the recipe and instructions, Parson!

LSP said...

Kid, I like DimSum, while scorning the ChiCom menace.

Like the sound of that fudge, I must say.

LSP said...

Give it a go, Linda. With hindsight, always 20/20, I'd say my recipe was a little bit salty. Delicious but maybe better with 1/2 tsp?

Anyway, give it a go and see what you think.

God bless.

NITZAKHON said...

Meanwhile, mac and cheese for the younglings, and I made chicken masala with portabella mushrooms and artichoke hearts for me. Wife could have some if she wanted, but doesn't.

LSP said...

Now that, N, sounds delicious. I love chicken masala.

Brig said...

There was a place that made Indian fry bread in one of the cow towns we lived in, yummy. Thanks for the recipe.