Sunday, April 17, 2016

Come Hell or High Water



What do you do when the lightning fills the sky and thunder crashes like the guns of Kursk, as a mighty deluge of rain pours down from the sky? You can sit at home like some kind of pajama boy in a onesie and cower in your parents' basement sipping lattes and hot chocolate. Sure, you can do that, that's one option. Or you can climb into your rig, crank up the jukebox, and drive through the storm to Mass.




I chose to avoid Hell and brave the high water, which isn't as amusing as it sounds when you're hydroplaning across a flooded country two lane. Slow down, you're of no liturgical use, in this world, if you wipe out and die in the wilds of Hill County.


Slow Down, Fool.

The storm raged throughout the Mass, like Hillary Clinton thwarted of a speaking fee, or Satan, falling to earth like lightning.

Wake of the flood,

LSP


10 comments:

Adrienne said...

You're very brave - and we thank you.

I love thunder storms. We have very few, which makes my doggie happy, since he doesn't like thunder storms. He's way better now, but we used to have to swaddle him in a special little "thunder storm wrap thingy." It's a bit like a straight jacket for scared doggies. Even with the wrap we'd still have to hold him.

LL said...

I can't recall so much rain and water in Texas in 12 months anytime in my life.

I know what you mean. It's like being on the receiving end at the Battle of Midway when the thunder and lightning lets rip. I'm with Adrienne. I like it. Driving in it - not so much.

LSP said...

Thanks, Adrienne. My dog doesn't seem to mind the storms, unlike the mail truck, which sends him into a frenzy. Not sure why.

LSP said...

It's been pretty rainy, LL, I have to say. And I won't lie, driving out this morning had some hairy moments.

Now the downside of all this is mud, thick, clay mud, which makes getting out in the field difficult with my truck. It's fine off road for the most part (for my purposes) but I know from experience it'll get stuck in the mud.

This means I need a cheap 4x4; it doesn't have to be fancy at all. I was thinking of an old Jeep Grand Cherokee ('00-04) and perhaps a suspension kit + winch. But any advice welcome -- budget's an issue...

Euripides said...

I like my rain distant and in the mountains. There's a reason I live in the Phoenix valley. More power to you Padre for braving the storm to get to church.

Mattexian said...

There's what I'm told is the naming of the little CenTex town of Seaton (a little east of Temple): after a bad storm, the farms there were "a sea of water and a ton of mud."

Brig said...

What a fearless Padre you are!
I love thunder storms, especially here, as the sound bounces off the hills & canyons. The cowman and I used to jump in a pickup and set on top of a ridge to watch them roll across the home ranch. All that energy in the air, wonderful!

LSP said...

Thanks, Euripides. I like watching the storm(s) from my porch. It's like being on a ship, a bit scary to drive through...

LSP said...

"Ton of mud" -- that's the truth, Mattexian. No fun to trudge through at all.

LSP said...

I don't know about fearless, Brighid, but I'm with you on the thunder. It got pretty dramatic last night, and the lightning wasn't bad either. Neat.