Sunday, April 10, 2016

Go Fishing After Mass



There's all kinds of ways you can relax on Sunday afternoon after Mass and I'll share one option with you. Go to a lake somewhere in central Texas and catch some fish, or at least try. With that in mind, I put a rod in the bed of the rig, Blue Crankbait in the cab and drove off to RV with GWB at a lake.


Hope Springs Eternal

Would I catch any fish, I asked myself hopefully, as Blue Eschaton frisked and gamboled in the lakeside pasture. Remembering past success, I put a sparkly green worm on a Bass hook and cast off. Bass love sparkly green worms, I thought, full of pescatorial wisdom. 


A Bass

Strike! Fish on, the rod bent double and out played the line. Big excitement in LSPland, I can tell you, and after a decent fight I reeled in a Bass. Good result. A little later, GWB tipped up and cast off with a spinner but soon retired to watch a Sand Hill Crane through a spotting scope. There it was, a Sandhill Crane. 


Recon

I kept fishing, however, which is a sport that's all about perseverance, and was rewarded with a fair sized Catfish that struck my plastic worm near the surface. Again, big excitement, top water hi-jinx, but he slipped the hook after thrashing about in the water like an enraged Great White. Readers, all three of you, don't underestimate the fury of the fish. Then, as the sun was beginning to set, another Bass decided to strike, this time hitting a blue worm. Bass love blue plastic worms. Well, at least this one did, and that was that.


A Typical Texas Sunset

Fishing adventure over, we scouted out the land near the lake for potential predator calling and hunting. It's beautiful country and remarkably green and lush, which will change all too soon under the fierce Texan sun; the country even has hills and views, or vistas. Rremarkable, it's like Gloucestershire, except for the bobcats, snakes, coyotes and wild pigs.

Speaking of which, the man who farms there says that pigs are always a problem and I guess they are, except when they're on the grill.

God bless Texas,

LSP

10 comments:

Fredd said...

Yessiree Bob, Reverend. Me and the other two guys who read your stuff are no strangers to casting into murky green waters, in hopes of tempting fish with crank bait, spinners, rooster tails, and even live bait such as shiners, fatheads and crawdaddies. Worms have always worked for me, big greasy night crawlers, the bigger and greasier the better.

Although I wouldn't be caught dead eating a catfish, they sure are fun to catch as once they get the feeling that things are not right, they fight like crazy. Which is 90% of the fun of fishing, but you know that already.

Adrienne said...

I've heard that those wild pigs don't taste too good.

infidel de manahatta said...

Yes but are these fish cisnormative?

LL said...

If you transition from crank bait to hook-bait, liver works very well on catfish. Once you have the first fish in, you can use guts, which work even better. I'm with Fredd in that I avoid eating catfish, and for that reason, I prefer fishing for bass.

Feral razorbacks are always a problem and they need to be culled...with prejudice.

LSP said...

I like using worms too, Fredd, though the last few times I've been trying out various plastics. One of the best things, I think, is when the aggressive fish hit a topwater lure -- big fun, but rare for me.

LSP said...

I have some in the freezer, Adrienne, thanks to a friend who shot a few pigs. Let's see how it works out -- sausage and "low and slow"...

LSP said...

Infidel, you're such a hater.

LSP said...

I've had some success with liver, LL, maybe I'll try that method again. Have to get on those pigs...

Undergroundpewster said...

Fishers of men have to eat, so go fish!

LSP said...

This is very true, Pewster!