Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Texas Floods, So You Fish



Texas is mostly underwater, which forces us to fish. I tried out the old chicken liver and night crawlers method today, all in the hope of getting a monster catfish.

That meant clambering over the bluffs looking down on lake Whitney, and dropping a Carolina rigged treble hook baited with liver onto a recently submerged limestone ledge. I'd seen two big Channel Cats grazing there, so my hopes were up.


OK, Not a Monster, But Still, A Fish.

I left the rod in its holder and waited for the liver to do its trick while I fished the topwater with lures. Sure enough, after about 10 minutes, down went the float, out played the line, and the rod bent with a vengeance. Big excitement, no doubt about it, and I dropped the one rod and scrambled for the other. Reel that fish in! And I did, or at least started to, then... nothing. Whatever it was dropped the bait. 


Fierce Little Thing


My guess is that a Gar hit the liver and ran with it but let go after discovering something was up, they do that. Nothing was biting after that, so I moved on to less adventurous water and was rewarded by a Catfish and a Sunfish.


Gratuitous Texan Sunset Over Lake Whitney

They hit worms on treble hooks in shallow water with the kind of zeal you'd expect from Bernie Sanders promoting the Communist Manifesto. Aggressive beasts, fish. And that, readers, is that, except that it isn't, because the challenge is still on for a big Cat.

Fish on,

LSP

4 comments:

LL said...

That's the up-side to living in a water world...plenty of fish.

Fredd said...

I'm guessing, Reverend, that you've thumped a Bible or two in your day, no offense. Bernie Sanders thumps Karl Marx's 'Das Kapital,' and he thumps it with vigor, despite the fact that he has no clue what any of it means.

LSP said...

It does seem to be a benefit, LL. Mind you, I've been a bit more active with rod & reel this year. Wouldn't mind learning to fly fish, btw.

LSP said...

Bernie's on Das Kap like a fat kid on a Smartie (M&M).