Sunday, January 22, 2017

Say A Prayer, Heathen

Worship

Listen up, heathen. It's Sunday and time to feast but also to pray. Some argue the two go hand in hand, but I won't preach as I do enough of that, ahem, already.

Anyway, here's a prayer (Collect) for the day:

ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, mercifully look upon our infirmities, and in all our dangers and necessities stretch forth thy right hand to help and defend us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

And for all you Latin Mass trads, here it is again, with a fuller doxoloy:



OMNÍPOTENS sempitérne Deus, infirmitátem nostram propítius réspice: atque ad protegéndum nos, déxteram tuæ majestátis exténde. Per Dóminum nostrum Jesum Christum, Fílium tuum, Qui tecum vivit et regnat in unitáte Spíritus Sancti, Deus, per omnia s ǽcula sæculórum.

I tell you this, I prefer the Latin Mass but I like the Epistle and Gospel in English. I don't care either way about the sermon. 

God bless,

LSP 

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

This Latin Mass trad doesn't mind the epistle and gospel in Latin. It's always read in English from the ambo, but I've already read it in my missal.

LSP said...

Adrienne, I don't mind it either, to be honest, but I don't like the way the liturgy's disrupted when it's done twice, once in English and once in Latin. But whatever.

Too bad the Mass wasn't translated into liturgical English as opposed to the banal rubbish of the '70s "liturgists" -- there was a ready made resource in the Anglican Missal (carbon copy of the Roman rite of the time but in Elizabethan English).

A number of UK priests I was friends with felt that way and it's there in the Anglican Ordinariate rite, but that's very small and hard to find, sadly.

#MAGA

Adrienne said...

So what you're saying is that it's said twice from the altar - in Latin and then in English? In the Tridentine Mass I attend (FSSP) it's in Latin only at the altar. After the priest hits the ambo he reads it in English before he preaches. That's the same as it was 70 years ago. I confess to not being really cognizant of how the Anglicans do things. All the crapola they came up with in the 70's should be buried in a deep pit along with the guitars and tambourines.

Infidel de Manahatta said...

I like the epistle and gospel being sung, or warbled if the priest has a bad voice, in Latin.

Though as a compromise they usually repeat it in English before the homily.

LSP said...

"All the crapola they came up with in the 70's should be buried in a deep pit along with the guitars and tambourines."

Adrienne, well said.

LSP said...

I like a sung epistle and gospel, Infidel.

I don't like a danced epistle and gospel.

But that's just me.