Monday, July 8, 2024

Walkabout

 



Thanks to Hurricane Beryl crashing into our eastern shore it's unseasonably, blissfully cool here, only in the 80s. This is rare, remember, it's July, in Texas. Had someone bothered to do their duty to fragile planet earth and paid their carbon tax, had they obeyed the Pope himself? Perhaps, and I took advantage of this welcome lull in the War on Weather to stroll over to the square and from there to the supermarket.

Yes, we still have one, Brookshires, right in the center of this erstwhile cotton town which once numbered some 20,000 souls. It's now less than half that because we sent our cotton industry overseas to make moar money. But hold on. Not very far from me, on the way to the Pick 'n Steal Shamrock filling station, there's a house for sale.




It's been "done up" and looks pretty good, about the same age as mine but without the upper story. So there I was, strolling along the bucolic boulevard that is Franklin on my way to get coffee at the PNS, all the while admiring the refurb of this house. 

"Nice job on the house," I say to the woman hosing down a newly laid concrete walkway to the front porch. She's wearing a faded Billy Joel tour T shirt, which I recognize, dating us both, and she recognizes me, after all, I walk this path daily. So it's all very sunny hello. "So what's the price on the house?" I ask, genuinely curious, "They're asking 329k" she replies.




Like, wow. 329k for a pre-WWI bungalow with a single room attic upper story. Maybe, dear readers, I've misjudged the prosperity of our little town. And go figure, the same set up would be twice that in in Dallas, which is only an hour away in slow traffic. That in mind, why are there still so many vacant and semi-abandoned properties in the center of town?

Surely it'd make sense to convert these into places to live and restore civic life to the center of this place. Maybe you can picture it, a town square with shops and restaurants, with life as opposed to asset-stripped dereliction, and all watched over by our Confederate War Memorial, a stern and stoic soldier cast in stone. 


Compound

To be fair, some people are working towards this not inconsiderable goal, and good for them. Of course they're hoping to make a lot of money off the project, and I hope they do, but it's a bit of gamble. Will Dallas cash move south down I35 to LSPland? It is so far, in a small way. That in mind, where will the people who can't afford nearly half a million bucks to live in a bungalow actually live? Serious question.

Reverie over, I arrived back at the Compound from this latest recce patrol and all was well, the place still standing. We must thank God for his blessings.

Salve,

LSP

9 comments:

LindaG said...

Amen to God keeping you (and us) safe today, Parson.

I seem to recall that LL did a post some few days ago that had a graph on the price of housing in the U.S.? And they were all, what I would call, outrageously high.
It is a pretty little "bungalow"; but they are obviously appealing to someone with more money that I expect to ever see.

You all be safe and God bless, Parson.

LL said...

Waco (and the Waco Palace) will drain vitality from Hillsboro for the foreseeable future until you can get your own Gains clan to refurbish old dumps on television.

LL said...

PS - I've been pricing homes in the suburban Phoenix area, and the cheapest I can find that I'd want is in the $1 million range. I blame californication.

LSP said...

Hey, LL, it's a thing. And here's my take.

Houses become unaffordable except to the very rich and institutional investors.

The latter buy all the stock.

And rent it to us.

Hurray!

Big drinks all 'round.

LSP said...

Outrageously high price for that house, Linda. I was shocked.

Dad of Six said...

Is there a canine resident at the Compound? I thought that there had been a successor to Blue.

RHT447 said...

From over at Peter's place--

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2024/07/dont-buy-house-built-in-2024.html

LSP said...

There is, DOS, Rhodie, who's a ridgeback, lab, red heeler, pyrenees cross. You can see the breeds in him and know what his people were trying to do - breed a smart, friendly to you, attack dog with cattle and maybe hunting instinct.

Well, he's not that at all but is a big baby, I think lab predominates in his character. Rescue dog with, sadly, weak hips.

Why did the people who bred him abandon him? It angers me that they did. Anyway, there it is, Blue has a successor.

LSP said...

RHT, that overpriced bungalow in Hillsboro is STURDY compared to modern buildings.

I often think, btw, that we'll be faced with all these falling down "suburban" developments in the next 20 years or so, maybe sooner. What will they become? Favelas? Possibly. In the past, we used to simply tear 'em down and build over. I don't see that in the near future.

So.