Sunday, September 8, 2024

OPERATION TURKEY RUNNER

 



Phase 1. Get Turkey Runners, thanks to new neighbors hating "dirty old rugs." Rip out hideous old industrial 1980's carpet from stairwell. Marvel at overengineered installation. Save underlay, this will come in useful later.




Phase 2. Clean stairwell, remove tacks and staples from previous installation. Sand wood treads with fine grit, maybe you sweat as you do, no one ever said this would be easy. Clean the stairwell again, brush it down, wipe it off, and then stain the treads with MinWax or similar. No "rule."




Phase 3. Cut old underlay to size, it mustn't overlap the runner you're about to lay down, obviously. I used a set of industrial scissors for this task, you might use something else, and that's OK, your call. Underlay sized, staple those pads down. I used an Arrow range stapler and T50 staples, .5" 12mm.




Phase 4. Yes, this is a complex operation, it's now time to roll out Rug #1 down the length of the stairwell. Start at the top, securing the Old Persian with staples. Word to the wise, you don't need to overdo it, three staples per tread should work.




Phase 5. The final, lower staircase. Underlay in place, start at the bottom and work upwards to the landing. Once there, fix your rug to the floor with a handy stapler and behold, a job well done. Now you have anciene regime Persians lining the steps of the Compound's stairwell. How can that be bad?




Well, the photos don't do these old tribals justice, but still, what a nice result. My neighbors scorned them. I find that hard to believe, yet here we are.

Your Pal,

LSP

23 comments:

LL said...

Good job, LSP.

LSP said...

A bit rough and ready, LL, but this is the Compound.

Thanks.

drjim said...

Well Done, Parson! I'll bet they feel very nice underfoot!

Abigail said...

Beautiful job! Beautiful rug! Enjoy!

Paul M said...

Who says Pastors/Priests don't have skills. Nicely done...and the dark tread stain works really well against the "new" runner...a classic look fitting for a Parsonage.

Seamus1962 said...

Great Work! I also really enjoy making quality items work again like new. My wife's uncle collected these and he will tell me about the details on how they were made - especially the weave and dyes. It's like you are walking on a work of art that is crafted so you should and can... there's a homily in there - somewhere!

drjim said...

Well, his Boss is a carpenter after all!

LL said...

I haven't seen the turkeys running the runner yet. Take care, they crap like geese all over everything. Sort of like politicians, but with feathers.

Adrienne said...

I won't go into what I was thinking when I saw the title of this post, buuuuuuuuut - it was seriously funny. It looks great, Father, and you did a marvelous job!

Adrienne said...

@LL - Turkey crap and geese crap is just awful. I had a friend on a beautiful hunk of land inundated with wild turkeys. It was impossible to walk anywhere without stepping in their sh*t. And in Sandpoint they're on a mission to scare away the geese who ruin the beach.

LSP said...

They do, drjim! Beautiful old rugs.

LSP said...

Thank you, Abigail, a great improvement!

LSP said...

We've got to keep active, Paul. And right on, the dark stain works well. That in mind, I find it hard to believe people didn't want these rugs. They looked beautiful in their former home. Oh well.

LSP said...

Now that, drjim, is a very good point.

LSP said...

There definitely is, Seamus! And you know, I've spent more hours than I can count restoring things in churches and houses. I know, you're in the same business.

LSP said...

LL, a pal once dived out of an SUV on a friend's ranch and shot a turkey on the wing with a 30-06. No kidding. I was there and asked him, "Is that the way you do it?" Apparently it was, that day.

LSP said...

Adrienne, my neighbors used to have peacocks. They FLY. Who knew.

LSP said...

Thanks, Adrienne, it's an improvement and I like the way these old rugs glow on the stairwell. An incentive to pick the place up, I think. Turkey Runner... heh.

Paul M said...

...a VERY good point. Can't forget the obvious. H/t

drjim said...

I don't like geese, except if properly prepared for a fine Christmas dinner. We have a small localized flock of Canada Geese here, and it grows by at least an order of magnitude starting in late October. They're agressive, take their sweet time crossing the street, tear up your yard foraging, and leave large, nasty calling cards. If you're on foot, avoid them, as they can get quite agressive, and do some serious damage to pets and small children.
They finally start leaving in April, and good riddance to them!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely beautiful. So wanted it done on my stairs but hubby wasn't in favor of it. But you might look into stair rods. Goes across the back of each step and keeps the runner from pulling on the nails and eventually coming loose. From pic's it can be very nice looking.

LSP said...

drjim, I roasted a goose last Christmas and it didn't turn out so well. Huh. Practice makes perfect.

LSP said...

Stair rods can look very good, Anon, I know this. And they can be bought 2nd hand in the UK for not much money at all. Maybe I'll go down that route. And maybe I need to find a long runner for the upstairs hallway :)