Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Ash Wednesday

 

Memento homo quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris 


Almighty and everlasting God, who hatest nothing that thou
hast made and dost forgive the sins of all those who are
penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that
we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our
wretchedness, may obtain of thee, the God of all mercy,
perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our
Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


Have a holy and blessed Lent,

LSP

6 comments:

Infidel de Manahatta said...

Happy Lent. As I do every year I pray for a good Lent and also a cheerful Lent. After all what is the point of penance if it isn't cheerful?

Dad of Six said...

Great point Infidel!


Remember man, that thou art ash and to ash you shall return. It brings to mind a recent post at Ace of Spades about the Silicon Valley guy who is spending 1.5M a year in the hopes of extending his life forever. Momento homo indeed.

Seamus1962 said...

One from St. Ephrem:

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant. Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages.

LSP said...

I think that's hinted at in the Bible, Infidel. Mind you, there's "Blessed are those who mourn" too.

Me? I find Lent progressively harder over the years, but that's another story.

LSP said...

Yes indeed, DOS.

We can picture that person in the next life. What shall it profit a man...

LSP said...

What a great prayer, Seamus!