Thursday, July 13, 2023

Hot

 



So what's going on, LSP, apart from vaguely unhinged ranting on our evil transnational elite and Europe's schizophrenic war lust. You know, bay for war, clamor for combat, but don't produce any ammo or tanks or planes or ships or guns. Of course that's hard if you've offshored your industry to China and rely on cheap Russian gas. That aside, what's going on?

I'll tell you, heat, extreme heat. It's like a preheating oven out there and it's getting to the point where the very air itself might ignite, thermobaric style. Imagine driving under a scorching Texan sun, the fields around you bleached by its light and someone carelessly flicks a spent cigarette out of the rig's window. Boom, ignition as mesquite dust, pollen and chaff explode. Terrifying.


typical Texas hat

In the old days, I'd think nothing of getting out in the field in the midst of it all and ride, shoot, fish in the heat of the day. Now? Not so much, it doesn't seem so attractive to slowly boil under a 107* Heat Dome. That in mind, we have to wonder at the sheer toughness of the people who pioneered this place. Remember, they had Commanche as well as the heat to deal with, and most definitely no AC.

Speaking of which, the Compound had a wrap 'round sleeping porch up until the '80s when it was sadly destroyed to make way for an extension. Error. Maybe we need to fix that mistake, the upstairs AC's barely cutting it. But such is the War on Weather, no one ever said it'd be easy.

Don't melt,

LSP

7 comments:

LindaG said...

You all stay safe and God bless, Parson.

LSP said...

Thanks, Linda, trying not to melt.

Beans said...

It amazes me now that in my 40's and early 50's I was doing medieval fighting in Florida summer, including wearing a padded gambeson that covered my arms and hung down to my knees. Now? I get ill if the apartment gets over 78 degrees.

Stay safe. Wear a hat and sunglasses.

I used to not wear either, then I had two skin cancers removed from my forehead and I burnt out my right eye to only 40% goodness.

And long sleeve loose cotton shirts.

Bleh. As I get older heat sucks more.

LSP said...

Beans, I didn't use to care, at all. Now? No so triple digit adventurous. That said, respect to the people who claimed this land, you know it wasn't easy.

Beans said...

Yep. I see pictures of people in the early 1900's here in Florida, wearing 3 piece suits and woolen trousers with long sleeves and vests.

Thankfully Willis Carrier came along.

Fun fact for Florida. We used to be the pineapple capital of the world until it got too cold for pineapples, so we transitioned to citrus, which was King until the mid 1970s when groves froze all the way down to just north of Orlando.

Global warming my sweaty bottom...

When I first moved to Gainesville, Fl (which is on the spine of the state in the north central area, I was used to living on the east coast (near Cape Canaveral) where it maybe got to 95 but with good breezes. Her? regularly up to and over 100 in the summer with not much wind. Bleh. And too many leftists, double bleh.

LSP said...

Right, Beans. My mind goes to all those Englishmen who sturdily went out to India and conquered it in the heat of the day in... not shorts and t shirts.

Then there's Climate Change.

What an utter crock. I say that as a religious professional. And sSorry about the leftists, perhaps bus them to San Francisco?

Anonymous said...

My great grandparent's home in New Braunfels had a screened back porch with beds that was summertime sleeping quarters. I remember going to sleep with the sound of the Pecan trees rustling in the wind.
The house started without indoor plumbing, which was added later.
No one builds them like that anymore.

CC