Sunday, February 7, 2016

Transfiguration



Today's the last Sunday of the Epiphany and Jesus appears in the Gospel, transfigured and standing between Moses and Elijah, as the fulfillment of prophecy and the law. I preached on that, emphasizing the spiritual ascent of the faithful up Mt. Tabor, culminating in our own transfiguration.




Easier said than done, of course, as we fall back down the mountain from time to time. "The Devil made me do it the first time," I told the congregation, "the second time I done it all on my own." 

Some say that a sermon's only half a sermon if it doesn't include at least one line from Waylon Jennings.

Enjoy the game,

LSP

1 comment:

LL said...

We need to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, don't we? It reminds me of a line from Kipling (as things often do) in Tomlinson, the great man writes, "The sins that you do by two and two, you must pay for one by one, and the God that you took from a printed book, be with you, Tomlinson."