Saturday, October 19, 2019

Fish Fry



"Hey, Padre, good news and bad news," went the early morning text. You see, these days churchpeople tend to text instead of call and in fairness it takes ring-tone beastliness out of your morning coffee, so I'm not complaining. 




The bad news? Someone had to stay in hospital an extra day or two, she's eager to be out, and the good news was a ticket for the FFA (Future Farmers of America) fish fry. Would it be welcome relief from the National Menstrual Equality Day or a trial?




So, after a hard day's sweating over a hot computer I drove off to find out. Turns out it was good, it felt great to be in the countryside and see my friend's place, it's been awhile. I asked him, "How's it been?" and he replied, "Busy, busy, and busy." 




I told him I was "busy learning to walk again," which he seemed to like, "You're doing pretty dang good at that. Could've been doing pretty dang bad." We parted ways, he had work to do, organizing the operation.




And I tell you, what a good crew of straight-up people having fun in the clean country air of a Texan evening, everyone getting convivial and taking it easy, the food was delicious too. But then it was time to leave JM's not inconsiderable Compound and head back to mine in the light of the setting sun. I won't say it wasn't beautiful because it was.




There was a time when I'd have laughed and accused you of being a deluded fool if you'd said I'd end up in rural Texas. God, it seems, is full of surprises.

Your Friend,

LSP


21 comments:

drjim said...

I've been to a few events like that since we moved here to Colorado. Much fellowship and good food, and just always had a great time.

Jim said...

One of the great things about the Lenten season are the all-you-can-eat fish fries at the local Catholic churches. I try to hit one each Friday.

LL said...

You could have been in downtown Austin instead, hanging with the evil clown and his bacchanalian followers. But you made the right choice.

LakeCity said...

Thank you Jesus for a God that still surprises us!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Country living makes for gatherings that city dwellers seldom experience.

Kid said...

National Menstrual Equality Day ? Geeez, I saw a headline the other day about how men can menstruate too. Really getting tired of these retarded freaks.

Anyway, sounds like a wonderful day.

Fredd said...

Look forward to moving to Texas. We've got 9.1 acres just sitting there, undeveloped and waiting for a compound to spring up on it in Kerrville, TX (Hill Country). In the meantime, we just pay the property taxes on it and wait...

Looks like we have yet another brutal cold Illinois winter to slog through. I can hardly wait...

LSP said...

Good to hear it, drjim. I need to get out more, now that the leg's doing better.

LSP said...

Ah! Wisdom, Jim, and fulfilling the fasting obligation to boot.

LSP said...

LL, I think I made the right call on this one. Not always a given, I admit, but this time yes.

LSP said...

Couldn't agree more, Lakecity.

LSP said...

It seems strange, WSF, but yes. A bit like aggregate roads and watching the dust kick up in your rearview, and a handy rifle in the front cab, perhaps an AR, maybe a lever (still have to get one...). I like all of that and you don't get it in the 'sprawl.

LSP said...

It was, Kid, great evening. Then there's the period equality thing. I think, and it's a considered opinion, that they've been driven insane by Satan.

LSP said...

Fredd, get that compound moving! I feel you're fed up with the new Ice Age. BTW, will your compound have a TOWER? Important for overwatch and I'm surprised the WWM doesn't have one. Still, I know Rome wasn't built in a day.

Brig said...

Any country FFA, 4-H, cattleman's, ducks unlimited, field of dreams, or such BBQ dinner is bound to have good food and fun. Go to as many as you can find, and meet the real people of America.

Kid said...

Driven insane by Satan. Agree. When nothing is true, Satan walks in and controls the narrative.

Plus how many people don't understand Born with God given rights..

Even my abstract mind can't come up with a positive solution to this.

Well me and the missus have our eyes on Texas for our twilight years. Let's get together and start an animal rescue on your property. Dogs, cats, lemurs, alpaca, lions, tigers, and bears. No monkeys though.

Old NFO said...

Rural Texas and the people have a LOT to offer... :-)

Infidel de Manahatta said...

Yes God is full of surprises. Or as I like to put it in decidedly non-theological terms: Not only is God good but he has an incredible sense of humor.

Jules said...

Yes, I would have enjoyed that little rural shindig!

LSP said...

Juliette, you would have loved it!

LSP said...

Infidel, I one hundred percent second that motion.