Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Cadet Update



Far-sighted readers of this inconsequential mind-blog might recall that my eldest boy walked away from a life of Canadian basements and Scandanavian Death Metal to a life in the US Army and, presumably, yet more Death Metal. Good call, kid, and he's in Basic right now at Fort Benning. How's it going?

Well, it seems. The kid's in White Phase, which is all about weapons and fitness, and he shot "expert." The Cadet wrote, "I can shoot an M4, apparently." 




And so you should. No excuses, only results, not that there's any, ahem, parental pressure. He can also run, he tells me, which is important in the Infantry and a miracle given sheer laziness leading up to his ordeal in Georgia. But hey, 19 years old and ready to go, well done.




Some kids, he writes, are so unfit they have to be recycled through BCT again, how did they get past the recruiters? Quotas, I'd imagine. Regardless, the boy's doing well and respect, he's made a good turn 'round. I do not say that lightly.


Signals

Next step? Blue Phase and Graduation, I'll be driving over to the Army in Georgia for the occasion. Of course he's fixing to go jump school... easy tiger.

God bless,

LSP

21 comments:

drjim said...

He's going to be a fine young man!

Well done to both of you.

Jim said...

Sounds like he's doing well. I remember basic well. If you were outdoors and not in formation, you ran. We had some fat boys as well, and they either shaped up or recycled. The M14 is what we had, and I did okay with it. Keep it up youngster!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

As I watched my son graduate at Ft Leonard Wood (where I went in 1963) I broke down in tears. My recommendation? Take a hanky.

LSP said...

Thanksdrjim, I tell you, we've had our moments. But the Army seems to gel with him, great result.

LSP said...

I got through a weird variant of it, Jim, then became a priest! Hmmmmm.

LSP said...

WSF, I totally get that. 100%

Undergroundpewster said...

Some recruits are unfit and that was the whole point of the Presidential Youth Fitness program back in 1957. Eisenhower saw how long it took to turn boys into soldiers in WWII and realized in the future that war might be fought quickly and there would be little time to build an army from draftees. This program was terminated in 1988 I believe. My nephew was for a time put in charge of the fat boy recruits and his job was to slim them down and get them into shape for basic. He had some great storied to tell.

Adrienne said...

How proud you must be right about now, LSP. If the cadet turns out to be half the man you are, he'll do well in life.

Anonymous said...

Clericals or Blazer and Regimental Tie?

https://www.regimentalgifts.co.uk/shop/gloucestershire-regiment.html

Old NFO said...

Good news, and you're justifiably proud of him!

Anonymous said...

Bravo Zulu - Army strong! Stick with it and follow i through.

(USN: re-"Tired.")



LSP said...

That's interesting, Pewster. I read somewhere that the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) in France suffered from malnourished, unfit young soldiers recruited out of the slums. Whereas the opposition had been getting their kids fit for a few years prior to attacking the world. Of course that changed as things went on.

The Cadet tells me appx. a third or more of his platoon's being recycled for fitness issues. Glad he's not one them!

LSP said...

Adrienne, you're very kind!

LSP said...

I think I'll go blazer and tie, Anon, and nice link. I have a tie but like the look of those cufflinks. Hmmmm.

LSP said...

Thanks, NFO. Well done, that boy.

And he's become very "warry"(!) Well, there'd be something wrong if he wasn't.

LindaG said...

Glad to hear all is well, Parson. Glad that God is watching over him.
And us all.

Jules said...

Excellent news!

LSP said...

Linda, I've been praying! Hard.

LSP said...

Juliette, you know it's been a big turn 'round and I'll pass that on.

Dick B said...

For a time, I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft Jackson. Amazing to see them 'morph' into Soldiers. The Army is not for everyone, but for those who choose . . .
'Once an Eagle' - Anton Myrer - The Kid sounds like a great Trainee and excellent prospect for a Soldier. St Michael, watch over the young Troopers.

LSP said...

Yes indeed, DB, and it looks like the Army's a good fit for him. His letters are very "warry"! It'll be quite a thing to see him in November...

St. Michael, defende.