Sunday, December 31, 2023

New Year's Eve 2024

 



Mexican music fills the air, Eduardo's exotic ducks are sleeping on the roof of his house across the yard and all seems well with this small rural haven in the North Central Texas Exclusion Zone. Later there'll be fireworks and maybe some celebratory gunfire. Just remember, kids, what goes up must come down.


Detroit, not far from the riverbank (2006)

Speaking of News Year's Eve gunfire, I remember looking across the river at Detroit from Canada at around midnight in the late '90s. Man, it sounded like a firefight was going on over there and I guess it was. Apparently some jolly revelers had opened up on each other with MAC-10s somewhere downtown. I know this because it was reported in the press, which is always honest, loyal and true.

So be careful out there and have a great New Year. Here's a prayer by way of resolution:


Almighty God, who hast poured upon us the new light of thine incarnate Word: Grant that the same light, enkindled in our hearts, may shine forth in our lives; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

 

God bless you all,

LSP

12 comments:

drjim said...

Thank you, Parson, and we wish you and yours all the best for the coming New Year.

The North Long Beach/Compton area was like that on both New Year's Eve, and Independence Day. Sounded like a major firefight out there! San Pedro was equally bad in some parts.

Ed Campbell said...

LSP, have a blessed New Year and thank you for what you do. Hopefully some of the crazy world we live in will settle down a bit.

Gunfire, I live out in the country so there is some celebratory gunfire going on. No fireworks because they are illegal and absolutely no one would drive to the nearby reservation and buy some...no, never. No gunfire from me tonight but I may go out and listen to the sound of 2nd Amendment freedom

LSP said...

Thanks, drjim, and with thy spirit.

And I can imagine... I tell you, I'd email the crew back in England about Detroit and I think they thought I was exaggerating, I really wasn't.

LSP said...

Happy New Year, Ed, have a good one!

I won't be letting off fireworks either because it's intensely illegal, though I might go for a shoot tomorrow, just for fun.

Ritchie said...

A blessed New Year to all, and may you never walk alone. Here in Small City New Mexico (USA) I plan to partay like it's Denny's Early Bird Special and stay under a roof.

LSP said...

And to you, Ritchie! Under a roof sounds most sensible. Haven't been to a Denny's in ages...

Wild, wild west said...

A fine benediction for the New Year, Rev., thank you for that.

Too dry here for fireworks, not that I'd be up that late these days anyway.

LSP said...

Well there is that, Wild. I'm up for the lightshow but dear Lord, the hi-spirit antics of yesteryear? No thanks, urgh. So much wild energy!

Anonymous said...

God’s blessing also to you LSP.
And many thanks, from SP RN

LSP said...

And with thy spirit, SP. Every blessing.

LL said...

In SoCal, at about 11:50 pm on NY Eve, the word would go out for police officers to park their cars under cover to avoid overhead rounds from coming down and damaging them.

LSP said...

I can imagine, LL, all kinds of crazy.