Saturday, December 23, 2023

Almost Christmas

 



The great Feast of the Nativity is almost upon us and lights went on at the Compound after a traditional trip to Walmart for last minute Christmas essentials. 

Now look here, punters, some traditions are good and we love them, they add depth, meaning and continuity to our fleeting lives. But other traditions are bad, like going to Walmart right before Christmas.

I tell you, and I'm no snob, don't laugh, it's true, that it was rough in there tonight and this is a country Walmart. Parse that as you will, while recalling that the rule of law is comparatively new here.

Speaking of which, could someone please make a law banning people from wearing pajamas in public, at the supermarket? But I won't neck-tattoo-bang-on, you get the picture. That in mind, let's recall the opening words of the governing Prayer (Collect) for what's left of this season.

Cast away the works of darkness and put upon us the armour of light. Needed, eh?

Stand Fast Against Leviathan,

LSP

10 comments:

LL said...

I hope that your Christmas stocking isn't filled with (a) coal; (b) A sock (5 lbs) of C-4 with a light-triggered detonator; (c) a voodoo doll/pin set with my face on it.

LSP said...

But LL, surely the voodoo doll/pin is a prized gift?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

All joke comes to mind. "Hazel, change out of those pajamas. We are going to Target, not WalMart".

LSP said...

Dear Lord, WSF, there they are, parading about in their filthy pajamas. Huh, so much for 21st Century living.

Wild, wild west said...

Debra Jackson would beg to differ:

https://franklycurious.com/wp/2016/07/17/debra-jackson-dollar-palace/

On the other hand, I would not.....

Ritchie said...

On balance-when I was looking for a new localilty to live, I realized that most islands of civilization (various values) are not all that big. There may or may not be a local bookstore, or a gun shop, or more than 1 gunshop to provide some degree of competition. Criticize Big Wally for their opportunities for mockery, but that is likely to be the biggest best store in town, and probably the biggest best employer.

Seamus1962 said...

Merry Christmas LSP - have a blessed celebration of the Holy Nativity of our Lord.
Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

LSP said...

What an excellent link, Wild.

Hey, I'm no snob and I LIKE my country Walmart, I really do, in fact I should set up a chapel there (not kidding) and that'd be a great thing. But I tell you, it was mighty rough in there last night.

I do not say that lightly.

LSP said...

Right on, Ritchie, and I for one am glad it's there.

I do wish we had the neat small country stores you get in a place like Ludlow (UK), though, just way more congenial.

For goodness sake, why can't a country town like this have a country butcher, selling venison, duck, wild pig sausage and all of that? Just for example. Well, we've set up a farmers' market on Saturday, so there is that.

LSP said...

Merry Christmas, Seamus! Have the merriest of feasts.