Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Out And About

 


Seeing as how LSPland's full of surprises, I drove out to meet a photographer this morning. He shoots on land and in the air, with a drone. And what a good young guy; he left the Army after an IED messed up his back on his second tour in Afghanistan.



He rebounded well, others much less so. Were we right to go Big Army there and fight yet another war we weren't prepared to win? To put it another way, was my photographic friend's back worth it? I won't bang on but people who know far more about this kind of thing than I will ever do say no.



Mission accomplished, I drove to Waco. Movement, says the Philosopher is a sign of life. And what life it was, there on China Springs Road, complete with a strip mall and everything. Totally different than, say, where I live. All very stranger in a strange land. Don't get me wrong, not necessarily bad, just different, sitting there under the cerulean.



An old pal broke my strip mall reverie, texting in from LA where he's doing some kind of music thing, "Up early. Blast in hotel gym then mile run. I might be turning LA. If I start drinking wheatgrass smoothies I'll send an SOS. Stage an intervention."

Yes indeed, be careful out there, fella. But in the meanwhile, all's well in Texas and thank God for that.

Your Old Friend,

LSP

8 comments:

drjim said...

That's about how blue the skies have been here, but a bit darker. It's the altitude , you know.Some of the scenery here is in the category "Doesn't Photograph Well" simply because a camera can't capture the majesty of it.

Thanks for doing His work, whatever that may be.

SgtBob said...

Whether a war was worth it: Beginning about 2003, backs and forths with guys from my Vietnam regiment, their "Smedly Butler said" and etc., I finally said, "Look. We had our war. Let them have theirs." My wife and I have three offspring, oldest son retired Army aviation sergeant in 2014, two Iraqs and two Afghanistans; daughter retired Air Force officer, five deployments to a desert location; youngest with two Iraqs as an infantry NCO will retire in about 18 months. I never asked them, nor will I ever ask, "Was it worth it?" If someone asked me, I would say, "Worth what? What is your measurement?"

Well Seasoned Fool said...

With all due respect for the inhabitants, Texas is a place I prefer to drive through. It is intimidating to see Mile Marker 811.

LSP said...

Good call, drjim, altitude.

But not a bad day, got out and about.

Bless you.

LSP said...

Sgt., you know I didn't ask that photographer that question.

And what a good guy, I felt he wished he could have stayed in.

My point, in this shallow mind blog is to draw down fire on the evil people who use our young people for their own rainbow oligarch enrichment. And hey, it's all good, trannies get to beat the girl swim teams. Social equity at last! Let's go to war!

Sorry, I'm sickened.

LSP said...

Mr. WSF, I totally sympathize, though Texas is AWESOME.

Wild, wild west said...

When it became clear that Bin Laden had removed himself from Afghanistan, we should have too.

The United States has experienced limited success mucking about in foreign entanglements since WWII. The small island of Grenada was successful and at least Korea continues to provide a stalemate. I'd venture to say the average South Korean is better off than his Northern brethren. I'm trying to think of anywhere else we participated that resulted in a positive outcome, but not recalling much else. Dominican Republic? Maybe. Haiti? Surely you gest. Somebody please enlighten me.

Old NFO said...

You need to pay a visit to the Texas Ranger's Museum there!