Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The Rise And Fall Of LSP Pt. I - The Horses



It seemed like a good idea to go riding on Friday, so that's what we did. Drove over to Waco, saddled up a couple of half-wild Arabs and went out in the round pen for a warm up.  There you have it, the rise of LSP.

All went well, so we went out in the pasture and stepped it up a bit. Fine, except that the horses weren't used to doing anything outside of a walk/trot in the round pen.


Looks Normal is Crazy

Well I didn't care and urged the uncollected, nervous, rebellious Arab forward and, when she started tossing her head and trying to get back to the barn, I turned her in a tight circle away from temptation. She hated that and went full retard horse spastic at the top of the circle and popped me off. Sic transit, the fall of LSP.

I hit the ground on my hip like a bergan full of wet charcoal landing on concrete, then got up and took stock. Could I walk? No, the old left leg was as mutinous as the horse herself. So I stood there, catching my breath.


Good Arab

The Recruit caught up soon enough, led his better behaved beast back to the barn and brought the truck around with BE. They levered me into the cab and drove to the nearest walk-in ER, which took an X Ray.

Oh dear, the upper femur was fractured below the ball joint joining the bone to the pelvis, a nasty injury, especially if an unstable bone slices through an artery and you bleed out. That hadn't happened, thank God.


Recruit Wearing a Helmet Riding an Arab

Next thing you know a busted up horseman's in an ambulance heading towards Waco central and surgery.

Moral? Never Trust An Arab or You Don't Bounce Like You Used To.

To be continued...

LSP

18 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

But can you still fish?

drjim said...

Prayers sent, Parson.

I don't bounce very well, either. Took a fall on a ship some years ago, and now have damaged nerves in my right leg.....

LL said...

Arabs are a tricky lot and riding them instead of shooting them can be a challenge.

Or are you talking about a horse?

Get will soon, my old friend. You went and let an Arab get you down. It happens, even in Congress.

Jim said...

I heard about this elsewhere and you have my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I've found that the older I get, the less bounce there is in the system, and there's is nearly none left in me. This was driven home last winter when I failed to strap on my ice grippers one day. After all, I was only going a few feet to the pickup. I went from vertical to horizontal faster than Jerry Miculek can empty a pistol. The shoulder I landed on is still sore. Anyhow, get better quickly and leave the rough stock to those who can still bounce.

Adrienne said...

Sad...

Brig said...

Padre,
Prayers up for a speedy and full recovery.
I'm fairly sure you must have kept your wings folded to have landed like that...

Kid said...

Best thoughts LSP. I've heard breaks near the shoulder or hip joints can be tricky. Hopefully it won't be for you.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Why is it that everyone I know who rides has stories like this?

Broken pelvises repaired with enough hardware to stock a store ...

Which is worse, horses or motorcycles?

Anonymous said...

The chaplet of divine mercy has been offered for your benefit LSP. (Probably not the most appropriate prayer, but that's where the Holy Spirit led me today, sorry.)

And...I sure laughed out loud at LL's arab joke.

LSP said...

WSF, I can't even do that. For now. This will change.

LSP said...

Thanks for the prayers, drjim, and sorry about that leg. Annoying when our bodies let us down.

LSP said...

LL, I'm resting up and the leg's getting more mobile by the day. Still,it'll take a few weeks to get right.

Then there's Congress.

Drain the swamp.

LSP said...

Thanks Jim. And you're 100% right, leave the wild horses to people who can bounce! I can't so much, it seems.

LSP said...

What a production, Adrienne. Could've been a lot worse though, so I guess there's a silver lining. Anyway, it's on the mend and I find myself faced with an immobile/walker sabbatical...

LSP said...

Thanks for the prayers, Brig. The wings obviously aren't reliable, I'll be sure to get 'em seen to.

LSP said...

The surgeon seemed pretty upbeat about the whole thing, Kid. In the meanwhile, I'm not putting any weight on the leg...

LSP said...

That, Chas, is a very good question and I'm not sure.

Horses are slower but have a mind of their own and they can kick you. Dangerous.

Bikes are fast and in the midst of traffic driven by people with minds of their own. Dangerous.

I think more people die on bikes, so maybe they're worse? Same kind of deal though.

LSP said...

Thanks for the Chaplet, Anon. Very appreciated.