Sunday, October 1, 2023

Out And About

 



One of the things people like to do after Mass at Mission #2 is go out for lunch and I joined in today. We went to Shooky's, which is a congenial little setup overlooking Lake Whitney at Parson's Marina. I hadn't there been before, strangely, and liked it a lot.

The food was good, I can recommend their pepperoni pizza, the view over the lake tranquil and I liked the fishing lodge, marina ambiance of the place. Just a really pleasant way to spend an hour or so after church and with great company to boot.




What good people! Representing several walks of life, law enforcement, banking, engineering, ranching, and all united in the Faith. Were there any libs at the table? No, there were not. Was anyone armed? Woe betide the fool who attempted to rob Shooky's on a Sunday afternoon.

Seriously, I feel blessed by such a good hearted congregation and am amazed at its range. It's easily the most intellectual church I've served but at the same time totally down to earth. From people who write books like I'd like to shoot dove to rodeo stars and all else in between, and right there in Bosque County, Texas.




Who'd have thought it, yet there it is. Go to Shooky's if you get the chance, I think you'll have fun.

God bless,

LSP


13 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

We had our usual gathering at a local VFW breakfast this morning. Profits go to help disabled veterans. One couple had just returned from two weeks in Egypt. They shared some interesting experiences.

One kind soul snagged two pieces of bacon for me to give to Banner.

Anyone's guess as to who was armed. For certain, the petite retired LEO and her Marine husband at our table were.

LSP said...

That sounds right congenial, WSF, and lucky Banner.

I tell you, everyone's armed to the teeth, which I like, but let's hope that prevents a gunfight.

Wild, wild west said...

Always been feast or famine in Bosque County.

Here's Lyle Lovett with an old Steve Fromholz song about Bosque County, set during "the time it never rained" in the 50's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvTfyWDIVDc

You want to read a lightly fictionalized yet real life horror story about that drought, go find a copy of The Time It Never Rained by Elmer Kelton. Scary stuff.

LL said...

Snookies? What happened to Monte's or is that too far from the lake?

LSP said...

I will definitely check out the Kelton, Wild, thanks for the Halloween tip.

And what a great song, might post.

LSP said...

Montes, now "Ya-Ya's" is still going strong, LL. Same menu, slightly higher price and, tbf, good value.

Shooky's is this new place I've just discovered. I sense good fishing.

LSP said...

PS. LL, I think you'd like it.

Howard Brewi said...

Here in Glennallen Alaska at least two of us were armed at the communion service, don’t know what the ladies had in their purses! We only have mass once a month and since the church hall where we used to have coffee etc was totaled by flood damage last spring, we went over to the senior center next door for coffee and fellowship. Next week the Dominicans from the Anchorage Cathedral will send a priest for mass.

LL said...

It's important to be armed at church.

RHT447 said...

Am a bit late to this party, but I finally found a solution that works for me. For much of the year, my Texas wardrobe is a T-shirt and cargo shorts, with my shirt tucked in. The solution was not a new idea to me, I just finally got off my rear and did some homework.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDIILAU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Sidearm is a Hungarian PA-63 in 9mm Makarov, loaded with Hornady 95 gr. FTX.

LSP said...

Hang in there, Howard, and good to hear the Dominicans are helping out. A good Order, I've always thought.

You'd think the hierarchy would raise up a Deacon, perhaps, who could serve weekly (Communion from the reserved Sacrament and all of that).

Will pray for your mission.

LSP said...

I think so too, LL, church militant.

LSP said...

Interesting solution, RHT. Sheer curiosity, why the PA 63?