Friday, May 15, 2020

Birds And Fish




It was like a scene from a Hitchcock movie, walk outside into the overcast light of a Texan spring morning and what happens, a bird screeches defiance. 






No matter, just a bird, then it swoops down on your head like a feathered Stuka in the skies of Crete. I somehow made it to the rig and back again, dive bombed by the avian terrorist.





And good thing too, because I had to load up for a trip to the dam and  fish, winged predators notwithstanding.




Now, some of you fish for relaxation and quiet reflection on the water. I do too but more so for action, which means catching, otherwise I grow bored. That in mind, I tend to put out a static line, perhaps on a bobber, and keep myself occupied with a casting rod, armed, usually, with worms.





The combo can produce great results.There's that Gar bait doing its thing on the one line and there you are, casting for opportunity. Than BAM, rod #1 goes double and so does rod #2.  Makes you leap about. Big fun and there was a bit of that at the dam spillway, fast action.





Several drum, bass, junior striper and perch later, I was back at the Compound, and so was the bird. It screeched, enraged, as I got back home, mission accomplished. Moral? Fishing's better than staring in boneheaded, slack-jawed, blank-faced consternation at your screen.

Tight lines,

LSP

16 comments:

Fredd said...

Yes, action fishing is what I like. Sitting in a beach chair, occasionally glancing at a bobber, drinking a beer, napping; not my kind of fishing. I like to be in motion; casting, slowly reeling in a lure, re-casting, reeling in, repeat.

And trolling; that requires a boat. I like it, lots of action there. As long as I don't have to own the boat. Somebody else provides the boat, I'm in.

LSP said...

I need to get back into lures, Fredd, and especially enjoy topwater. Big excitement when a ferocious bass storms into your torpedo and dives down to the depths. The fight's on. Then there's trolling, and that's neat too.

For me, that has to be from someone else's boat because I don't own one. But maybe I should get a canoe? LL has one and it looks pretty enticing, have to say.

Fredd said...

A canoe is just another 'gateway boat.' Once you go down that path, you're a goner....

Old NFO said...

Yep, I like to catch fish, not sit like a turtle on a log. Grew up fishing on the Sulphur River over by Negreet, LA. We'd catch 20 fish in an hour out of a 14' Jon boat.

LindaG said...

Hope you fried something up, Parson.
I like to catch. The fish seem to not so much like it.
Nice weather!

LL said...

DLC needs a littoral anti-fish corps, focused around a bass boat.

LSP said...

Fredd, are you saying that a canoe becomes a Jon Boat, becomes a Bass boat, becomes a...?!? But maybe I can handle it. Just think, canoeing down the mighty Brazos, parking up on sand banks, hitting all the downstream bass, maybe some cats and who knows what else. Sounds good, right?

LSP said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, NFO. I don't have a boat, sadly, but the bank action on the Brazos/Whitney dam can get pretty brisk. Same with Aquila dam. Sometimes you lose count and that's fine by me!

LSP said...

They all went back this time, Linda, but that'll change. I especially like beer battered bluegill, what a treat!

God bless.

LSP said...

LL, I like your strategy. Equip and retrain to fight the NEXT WAR. You have solid naval experience in irregular ops, which makes you a clear fit to lead the LAFC. From a powerful bass boat, obviously.

Watch out, piscine adversary.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Just when I'm reasonably content with my recreation choices, you write about fishing, and I'm no long content.

Fredd said...

Listen to you, Padre! Canoeing down the Brazos and all. You can quit anytime you want, you say. That's not you, that's your tackle box talking!

Put that trailer hitch ball down, and just walk away. An intervention may indeed be required to keep your feet on dry land.

Dad of Six said...

Maybe the crow is one of Satan's minions expressing his displeasure at your last post.

You could always dust his tail feathers with some birdshot.

LSP said...

WSF, I apologize!

LSP said...

I'm under a lot of pressure, Fredd. Everyone's saying I need a boat.

LSP said...

That's a very disturbing thought, DOS. The minion part, not the birdshot... what a fierce little thing. Saw it run a squirrel down a power line outside the house the other day. Ferocious.