Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Bank Fishing the Detroit River and Lake Erie


Some people might argue that there isn't a lot to do in Windsor, Ontario, but they'd be wrong. You can go fishing on the Detroit river. Not having access to a boat - sort it out - I resorted to bank fishing. There's ready access to the river by the Ambassador Bridge and Langlois and Riverside, which is where I went.

Matty Moroun

I found the Bridge best, with lots of fish breaking the surface and one toxic looking catfish(?) following my 10" red plastic worm into the bank, only to sniff at it lazily and drift away. So, long story short, I didn't catch anything but had fun trying. 

"I just throw everything I've got in, eh."

Perhaps I was using the wrong lures and bait; word to the wise, there's plenty of minnows schooling by the bank so it's probably a good idea to take a bait net and use those. Next time. Regardless, it was neat to gaze out across the water at the seemingly normal face of Detroit but no foolin', it's a jungle out there.

Erieau Beach

Made it out to Erieau beach too and took the young 'uns for a bit of rod & reel fun on the promontory leading to the "light house". A beautiful, uncrowded beach, not dissimilar to Rehoboth but without the boardwalk, buildings, crowds and marauding gangs of tackheads that make the commercial Atlantic coast a misery. Well done Canada, you haven't wrecked Erieau.

Catch Some Fish! Or Try...

Annoyingly, the promontory was being over fished by the Japanese, who had a weird monopoly on the place. They trolled away and caught the occasional small mouth Bass, which they put in plastic buckets. Still, we cast away and got a few bites but no strikes. As with the Detroit river, fun trying.

It's not over, fish. (Spot the derelict train station)

Fish, you won this time. Don't get complacent.

Cheers,

LSP


8 comments:

jenny said...

I've always wondered why Kryptek doesn't sell any camo burqas. Isn't that the ULTIMATE disguise?
Fish would be all, "Nope, def not a human. And rocks in Pontus Pattern do not hold fishing rods, so on, eat that thing dangling from it! It's fine!"
(There's your strategy for your next excursion. Glad I could help.)

The beach looks very nice!

Mad Padre said...

Windsor is a nice town, and its proximity to Detroit puts the whole US/Canada contrast into perspective, eh?
If you want to drive three hours up the 401 to Waterloo this weekend, I know a nice pub ...

LL said...

I think that if you threw junk food (on a hook) into the river, you'd be more likely to find a bait that the fish are used to. That or a screw-top bottle of Ripple with a hook taped to it.

LSP said...

Thanks for the strategy, I obviously need some help when it comes to catching fish...

Good old Kyptek!

LSP said...

Definite on the perspective, Padre.

Too bad -- back in Texas -- would have loved to meet up in Waterloo. Next time.

LSP said...

I think I'll go with the screw top bait next time I'm there. Good advice.

Mad Padre said...

Too bad. Serving margaritas to guests tomorrow. I'll host one in your honour (note correct spelling).

LSP said...

Thanks Padre -- wish I could be there!

Appreciate the correct spelling...