Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Funeral

 



The funeral went well, with cowboys and cowgirls from all over the country descending on Waco to pay their respects. Quite a thing. I told them a short story in the homily, which went something like this.


Bud didn't suffer fools gladly though he was always good to me, and sometimes in a tough way. A few years ago I was laid up in bed with a broken femur, thanks to a mad Arab, and called Bud on Saturday to see if he'd lined up a priest to cover the Mass on Sunday.
"No," he replied. "Why not?" I asked, "Because you're going to do it." Not wanting to seem like a wimp I rolled up to church on a walker the next day and said the Mass. S took a photo and made a meme; there I was at the Altar on a walker with him alongside. And the legend? "When an old cowboy bullies the priest into saying Mass with a broken leg." We laughed but he was right, got me moving again.

 

And that was Bud. What a good man. We had a lot of fun over the years, mostly at church, where we'd go back and forth, "I'm going riding after Mass," I'd tell him, "Huh. Don't fall off." Well, you can't take that lying down, "Don't worry, if things get tippy there's always the pommel thing." A moment of silence, "We call it a saddle horn."

Again, "Why don't you genuflect anymore?" I'd ask. "Because I don't have any kneecaps," straighteye stare, "Maybe you're just a dangerous Protestant." He was, you understand, a faithful High Churchman and a catholic Christian. To say nothing of an outstanding athlete and really good man.

But I won't bang on. Rest in peace, my friend, and thank you all for your prayers.

God bless,

LSP

13 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

A life well lived and an example for others.

drjim said...

We need many more men like him to teach the youngsters what it means to be a man.

Rest In Peace, Bud.

Wild, wild west said...

John Donne said it best; we are indeed diminished.

LL said...

RIP Bud, as we spoke about him on the phone before the funeral, I thought to myself that there are people on this Earth who can't be replaced. Yet, they manage to die like everyone else.

I'm sorry that he's gone but the Earth is better for having him here while he walked (and rode) among us.

Dad of Six said...

May choirs of angels receive him, and with poor Lazarus, may he have eternal rest.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

May he rest in peace.

Paul M said...

Did a memorial service for an old cowboy who was “one of those”…always stayed for dinner if stopping by to say hello. And his (and his brides) stories of life together. Irreplaceable. I was better for knowing them both,

Well done faithful servant.

LSP said...

MOst definitely, WSF, and the rodeo turnout at the funeral was a testament. I feel you would've approved.

LSP said...

drjim, we sure do! He was a character... and very much my 2IC/right hand man over the years. What a good guy.

Thanks for your prayers.

LSP said...

I love Donne, Wild. Good call.

LSP said...

Well said, LL. And hey, sic transit.

You met him, very briefly. Too bad the visit wasn't longer.

LSP said...

Thank you, DOS. A beautiful prayer.

Kid said...

People like this are few and far between.

LSP said...

Kid, I won't argue with that for an instant. What a good man and I was privileged to work with him.