Friday, May 29, 2009

Hoof Junky

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man

Winston Churchill

I've discovered that's true, but only because a strange and lets face it, terrifying confluence of aspects, spat me out of Canada and into rural Texas, where I minister to two country missions in the Anglican Diocese of Fort Worth. What does that mean? Amongst other things, that I'm a shameless Trad - liberal humanism masquerading as christianity doesn't cut it for me - and...

that I get to ride horses. Now this is something I always wanted to do and somehow never did until I noticed the odd parishioner turning up for Mass in working boots and spurs - right out of the stables and into church on a Sunday morning. 'Result,' as SBW (Suburban Bushwacker) used to say. So one thing led to another and before too long I'm in the stables talking God, Guns, Church and learning to post under the watchful eye of equine professionals.

Nothing better; perhaps its Texas, perhaps its the horse itself, but I find there's a freedom in it which I know I wasn't finding in the city. Its practical too - when the gas runs out I'll have transport. And that's what this blog's about, reflections on some of the home truths and simple pleasures of being a country priest in the Lone Star State. 

Oh, if you need a Ferrier, check out Coty at http://hoofjunky.com/ , you can see him at work above, shoeing BeBop and dispensing wisdom.

God bless,

LSP

2 comments:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Fantastic LSP!!!!!
I've given birth to another blogger! I hope it brings you as much pleasure as it continues to bring me.

Very much looking forward to riding, hunting and eating with you in your adopted home state

Speak soon
SBW

LSP said...

I'm in your debt SBW - vastly!

Forgive newbishness but how to get Jiglu to generate tags?

Cheers
LSP