Saturday, August 22, 2026

So What Is The Best Club?

 



Whoa, tricky question because they're all good in their different ways. For sheer apex predator awesome it has to be White's. If you're a Prime Minister or own half the planet you may be invited to join. I'm not a member, oddly, and that's curious, because I am the Commandant of an irregular troop of light horse, the DLC (Dallas Light Cavalry). Huh.


Boodles

White's being shut we move down St. James by a few hundred yards and land at Boodles. What a beautiful and excellent Club! Winston Churchill used to sit in its storied bay window and watch passers by. I love that place and used to sit in the window but haven't been there in years, I always think of the smell of coal fires when I remember it. It has a beautiful 18thC dining room and outstanding wine, obvs.


Carlton

Walk across the road and what d'ye see? Brooks. I know nothing of Brooks. Keep walking and lo and behold, the Carlton Club. I used to love that place in the '90s, when you could smoke in its Smoking Room and everything was cool and cashless. Just sign a chit, sorta thing. Haven't been there in ages. Still, you know it's good.


EIC

Next up. Stride forth from the Carlton into St. James Square, and what do you fund? A cornucopia of Clubs. The East India ain't shabby and offers a great Sunday lunch, order salmon and roast beef fron the trolley and you won't be disappointed. 


In & Out

Then walk across the way to the Naval & Military (In & Out) to enjoy well-priced cocktails before heading over to the Reform Club on Pall Mall (not open on weekends). Excelsior. There's others on that strip, notably the Travelers (Trav) and the Athenaeum, which I haven't been to, all in good time.


NLC Bar

Pall Mall aside, you might want to keep walking and skip St. James Square and Pall Mall altogether, only to end up at the jolly old NatLib. Yes, the National Liberal Club, founded by Gladstone and still very alive today. I like it for its exceptionally high ceilings and spectacular terrace overlooking the Embankment and its gardens. Most congenial and hardly snobby at all.


I love the Reform Club

Now, dear readers, all five of you, there are many more clubs and they're all awesome, but this quick shoot-out's based on the ones I can get into, apart from White's. My favorite? 

Unfair question because they're all good, but I love the East India for Sunday lunch, Reform for all 'round awesome, garden and architecture, the In & Out for a great courtyard and being in "Nancy Astor's place," and the NatLib because rough and ready Gladstonian excellence, and you can smoke on its enormous terrace. So.




Clubland Forever,

LSP

No comments: