Thursday, May 24, 2018

Fishing Isn't God But I Still Love It



"Man," reminds Archbishop Fulton Sheen, "is engaged in a threefold quest for life, truth and love." Would I find that after Evening Prayer, fishing? Only imperfectly. Fishing, you see, isn't God.

Still, I won't deny that the sport's up there, especially when the watery beasts are switched on, for real and love what you're throwing in the water, which is pretty much the way it was yesterday evening.




The pier was empty, no pressure, and the spillway pool beckoned with submarine life. You could see it gliding about the water in search of prey. Big Gar, Catfish, a few Bass and a lot of Drum, some large; time to cast off.

Out went line #1 into the middle of the pool and stayed there, a stationary rod, then out went line #2 for casting. And sure enough, the fish wern't only live but loving the bait, with both rods popping. And that meant a bit of running around. 




There you are, reeling in a fish when the other rod starts jumping, bends double and off you go. Quick, sort that fish out and get on the other rod!

Big fun, I tell you, and while it's not God it does  make for a better evening than staring in slack-jawed consternation at some computer screen.




So get out and fish. Shoot and ride too, but those would be different stories.

God bless,

LSP 

9 comments:

drjim said...

Some of my happiest childhood memories are on the bank of a reclaimed strip mine watching and waiting for my bobber to start moving.....

Jim said...

Not God, perhaps, but it was created by Him because He wants us to be happy.

LL said...

Peter, James and John liked to fish. You have precedent on your side.

Would Peter go fishing after a prayer devotional? You know it.

LSP said...

It's a bit like sitting in a blind, drjim, but not so explosive!

LSP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LSP said...

That's very well put, Jim, and I agree. Also, if we care to look, there's marks of the Trinity in the thing, as in all things. So fish on.

LSP said...

LL, I think Peter prayed hard and fasted, a lot. Did he fish? Yes.

drjim said...

I only went duck hunting once, and didn't like it.

Too early, too wet, and too cold!

Give me an afternoon in the fields with the dogs hunting pheasant and other game birds, and I'm a very happy camper!

LSP said...

I know what you mean about duck hunting, drjim. Mind you, it's a thrill when yhe birds come in and guns go off.

I like dove hunting, though last year's season was a bit of a bust. This year...