Saturday, March 19, 2016

Tack Up



It's all very well to spend your life on the water in search of fish, but sometimes it makes sense to change things up a bit. With that in mind, I went for a ride.

There we were, horse and rider all alone under the big Texan sky, a sky that was growing ominously dark with low, stormy clouds. Then the wind started to pick up and I got in the saddle, daring the elements to bring it on.




They didn't, fortunately, but it was neat to gallop out like a stormchaser, and I was pleased with the horse. We're getting to know each other and she's fast, responsive and wants to please, as opposed to being a crazy, dangerous, mutineer. Good horse.




Ride over, I looked at the strangely green water meadows of Texas and their cows. A pastoral scene that reminded me of England, but that illusion vanishes with the Mesquite, dirt roads, larger sky and the newness of the settlement. 

It was all being pioneered not too long ago. There's a sense of freedom in that.

Stay on the horse,

LSP

2 comments:

LL said...

The big sky is what always takes me. When you live in a fetid city, you forget how big the sky really is and how fetching or ominous it can be. Living a climate controlled life indoors, in an office or wherever always spoke to me of being in prison.

Stay on the horse.

LSP said...

I really wouldn't want to be based in the metrosprawl...