Saturday, February 6, 2016

Shoot The Turkey



It's a sad fact of life that in this vale of tears we have enemies. My enemy is an ancient steel turkey and I took some time off from visiting the sick to take care of unfinished business.

We faced off at 100 yards, just me, the metal bird and a Ruger American .22. To be honest, I had an ulterior motive. Viz. To improve the recent abysmal standard of my off-hand shooting. So I shot away and while my marksmanship was nothing to write home about, it wasn't too bad either. Take that, turkey.



After a string of satisfying plinks as the .22 rounds hit the bird, I shifted to clays at 50, 75 and 100 yards. A bit more of a challenge than the turk and it's neat to see them shatter when you hit them. A couple of aggressive tin cans found themselves in trouble too. Breath, squeeze the trigger and watch the can fly up in the air. Neat.



Shoot over, I headed back to the Compound and the prospect of large steaks for dinner. There's nothing quite like doing your best to break personal stereotypes, I always think.

Your Old Pal,

LSP

2 comments:

LL said...

I'm glad that the range remained intact and that you are disintegrating the turkey (and the sporting clays). It's a good way to spend a Saturday -- in contemplation of shooting followed by a steak.

I need a rifle range in my back yard. Really.

We all have needs, don't we?

I wonder if the guy who owns the range is willing to sell off some acreage in that area. It's quite nice and pleasantly remote.

LSP said...

It is nice around there -- I'll ask.