Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Labor Day Pistol Shoot


To celebrate Labor Day I went to the range for a pistol shoot. I wanted to get more familiar with the Glock 21 and see how the pistol worked with its new Blackhawk SERPA TECH holster. Would the holster improve my accuracy with the famously smooth shooting piece of Austrian engineering achievement? To find out, I lined up against a 12" steel plate at around 20 yards.



Sure enough, the holster worked, and so did the Glock. Encouraged by the satisfyingly swinging plate, I unloaded a few 13 round magazines of .45 ACP against the pockmarked steel opposition. Big fun, then, on my last but one shot, remember to count your rounds, kids, the pistol fired, the plate swung, and a piece of shrapnel  fired back at me at lightning speed. 



I could see it coming, just, and there it was, a bit of steel embedded in my support hand. I looked down at the offender, holstered my gun, and picked the metal out of my hand, as though it was a bad heretic, getting excommunicated from the Church.



I fired off the rest of my Winchester White Box Value Pack against a paper silhouette. That didn't shoot back, fortunately.



Moral of the story? Be careful shooting against steel plates; I wasn't hurt, but that same bit of steel that found my hand could have chosen an eye, which might have made for a much less happy ending, sunglasses notwithstanding.

Watch out for the bears,

LSP

6 comments:

LL said...

Shrapnel scars are the mark of a warrior. Training casualties are to be expected in the DLC.

jenny said...

Usually heretics go for the jugular! You were spared!

LSP said...

No gain without pain, LL.

LSP said...

I think I was fortunate, Jenny.

Mattexian said...

Did you break out the box of John Kerry brand Purple Heart Band-Aids?

LSP said...

Good call! But no, I stayed in the fight.