Saturday, November 22, 2014

Get Out in the Field


Sometimes you get to that point when you think, "What next?" You've taken care of business, walked the dog, checked the news and there's an hour or so left over to do something profitable for mind, body and spirit. You could go to General Synod and get down with the pathetic fiction of women bishops. Or you can get out in the field and go hunting. I chose the latter path.



I set out under an ominous sky to find bunnies and squirrels, thinking both would complement existing meat in the freezer for a post-Thanksgiving small game feast.



Sure enough, I'd soon flushed a rabbit but by the time my rifle was up and crosshairs on, the bunny had made it to the safety of its burrow. I marked that for future reference and moved into the woods to see if I could call any squirrels in.

I did, with one coming in quite close, and on the ground too. I was just about to squeeze the trigger when off it took like a psychic. Lucky squirrel.



Then it began to thunder like the Second Front and I made my way back to the truck.

Moral of the story? Any time spent in the field is better than going to General Synod. Also, if I'd taken a shotgun I would've returned home with rabbit and squirrel for the pot. Well, I'll go out again tomorrow and see if I can't make up the deficiency.



Remember, Global Warming is settled science. Crony Capitalist, limolib NWO tax science, that is.

Shoot straight,

LSP

8 comments:

Brig said...

Prayers Up Padre for a successful hunt... shoot'm if you gott'm

jenny said...

Psychic prey are such a pain.
It'll be a great post-t-day feast, I'm sure... keep after 'em.

LL said...

You've given up on day-old turkey and stuffing, warmed in a cast iron skillet the day-after? If you add and egg or two to that mix, it will stand up to a squirrel any day.

LSP said...

Thanks for the prayers, Brighid!

LSP said...

I certainly will, Jenny. I want another rabbit or two...

LSP said...

Gave the wrong impression, LL. I was thinking after the turk had gone...

And for sure, couldn't agree more about the day after.

LL said...

I've always had better luck with a shotgun with light skeet loads when hunting for small varmints of that variety. Sure, a headshot from the .17 is better than picking pellets out of the meat while you eat it, but you're more likely to have meat with the gun (as you pointed out).

LSP said...

Given my situation a shotgun would have been better for sure.