Monday, July 2, 2012

Sporterizing the Lee Enfield Porch Project -- Forestock



Worked on the Mk. III forestock today; there was no shortage of wood to bring true to the metal. I used a rasp for that and it wasn't a difficult job, though you have to be careful. As with all these things, patience is definitely a virtue.

look at all that wood


After an hour or so (I was being careful), the stock fitted flush with the trigger guard and receiver ring and the wood around the barrel channel was shaped. 

clamp and rasp

Then it was time to sand. I started with 150 grit and worked up through 220, 240, 320, 400 and finally 600 grit. I used an old dry dish sponge as a block and kept the sawdust. Why? To mix with the finish when the time comes to fill the grain; I'm cunningly thinking that this might save some time and effort. We'll see.

getting there


I put the old warhorse together and was pleased with the result, it was good to see the rifle progressing. Next step is staining the forestock to match the butt (I'm tempted to keep the military original for now) and apply the finish. Then it'll be time to glass bed the barreled receiver, blue the metal and get a smith to attach iron sights, perhaps a 2/3 leaf express, and crown the barrel.

But that will have to wait till after The Episcopal Church's (TEC) General Convention in Indianapolis which, Enfield enthusiasts, is another story altogether.

Shoot straight,

LSP

4 comments:

Mattexian said...

That's looking really good, like a whole new rifle! I was feeling pretty good about sanding away some metal on my pocketknife the other day (didn't like the company's "break-resistant tip, so I ground that down), but I see that I'm still in amateur class compared to your dedication to this project.

LSP said...

You're kind, but I'm pleased with the progress so far -- the forestock should be ready in a month or so along with the bluing and the... let's see how it shoots.

Cheers.

Theresa said...

Looks good. Goes well with the Best Knife for Hunting I purchased earlier. I think that project you have over there looks awesome. You really put the old warhorse back in shame. You tested it out yet?

LSP said...

Thanks Theresa -- haven't shot it yet but it should be ready for a test fire soon. Excited by that.