Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ash Wednesday - And so it Begins


Lent has begun and with it our Holy Mother the Church's call to penance, prayer, fasting and self-denial, leading to ever greater union with Our Lord's Passion. There are several ways to go about this.

Liturgists
The wrong way.

B16
And the right way.

But while we're reflecting on that, here's some verse from Amma Jo, who is "the barefoot rev. Wandering barefoot and amazed through the stuff of mystery and wonder that is real theology." 

Here we go now:

"This is Lent. Smearing our faces with ashes that puff and run and smear and will wash away and stick to our fingers and refuse to stay put. This is Lent, the gentle reminder that to be but a breathe, a puff, a thing here one moment and gone the next is not fearsome but freeing."

Well now we know.

I wish you all a holy Lent.

LSP

6 comments:

Borepatch said...

Well said, and amen.

I'd like to give up being a shallow jerk for Lent, but sadly think that it may be the core of my being. All I can do is cast myself on the Lord's infinite mercy.

Adrienne said...

I love Lent...

LSP said...

Don't worry Borepatch. Our Lord smiles on shooters of old battle rifles.

Solace.

LSP said...

I plan to be harder on myself than usual, Adrienne.

God bless.

Infidel de Manahatta said...

Have a great Lent!

LSP said...

Thanks Infidel, and with thy spirit.

Hope you checked the "Amma Jo" link... worth it.